By nurturing youth, Rotarians can provide the skills young people need to succeed as future community leaders. Youth programs provide Rotarians the opportunity to develop their own leadership and communications skills and also provides for many incredible moments!
Youth Service Activities:
District 6490 is very active in the Rotary Youth Exchange program, which involves hosting international students in the U.S. and sending our local students to study abroad. These exchanges have a powerful, lasting impact on the students and host families alike. Learn more about Rotary Youth Exchange.
Chair: Rebecca Reis Smith (Champaign)
Interact clubs bring together young people ages 12-18 to develop leadership skills while discovering the power of “Service Above Self”. Interact clubs organize at least two projects every year, one that helps their school or community and one that promotes international understanding. Rotary club sponsors mentor and guide Interactors as they carry out projects and develop leadership skills.
- Bloomington Central Catholic, sponsored by Bloomington-Normal Sunrise
- Champaign Centennial, sponsored by Champaign Rotary
- Champaign Central, sponsored by Champaign-Urbana Sunrise and Savoy
- Charleston High School, sponsored by Charleston Rotary
- Clinton YMCA Excel Club, sponsored by Clinton Rotary
- Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley, sponsored by Gibson City Rotary
- Mahomet-Seymour, sponsored by Mahomet Rotary Club
- Marshall High School, sponsored by Marshall Rotary
- Monticello High School, sponsored by Monticello Rotary
- Normal Community High School, sponsored by Normal Rotary
- Paris High School, sponsored by Paris Rotary
- Rantoul High School, sponsored by Rantoul Rotary
- Robinson High School, sponsored by Robinson Rotary
- St. Thomas More High School, sponsored by Champaign West Rotary
- Sullivan High School, sponsored by Sullivan Rotary
- University High School, sponsored by Bloomington-Normal Sunset Rotary
- Urbana High School, sponsored by Urbana Rotary
- Vandalia High School, sponsored by Vandalia Rotary
- Decatur Young Leaders in Action, sponsored by Decatur 180
Rotaract clubs bring together people ages 18 and older to exchange ideas with leaders in the community, develop leadership and professional skills, and have fun through service.
EarlyAct is a service club for elementary or middle school/junior high age students. The sponsoring Rotary club members act as facilitators, role models, and mentors to the EarlyAct Club members. A faculty sponsor is also highly recommended for club success. EarlyAct engages students in character-building activities and prepares them for leadership roles by identifying and carrying out service projects that benefit their school, local and global communities.
EarlyAct Committee - This committee can provide assistance and materials to help clubs establish their own EarlyAct Club.
Chair: Janet Ellis-Nelson (Champaign)
Chair: Tayna Walker (Arthur)
Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) Committee organizes a three-day weekend in the spring for high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors where students develop leadership and team building skills while having fun.
Here are other District 6490 committees that help carry out the mission of Youth Service:
Literacy and Education Committee
Chair: Kris Graves (Arcola)
The Basic Education and Literacy Committee works with clubs to implement local projects such as the high school essay contest, supports international literacy initiatives, and distributes the Cardinal Care Funds.
2021-2022 High School Essay Writing Contest
Please direct questions toJulia RKris Graves (Arcola)